A hand mixer is an accessory found in most kitchens. This handy appliance allows cooks to easily mix dough, batters and more for easy preparation. Most would agree that the hand mixer is a very valuable item that they would not want to live without. It is very handy, very versatile, and makes life in the kitchen so much easier.
Many different hand mixers are available, each offering its own set of pros and cons. Regardless of the brand or model of hand mixer you own, the following tips are designed to help you make the most out of your use of this appliance. These tips are general tips that can be applied to any appliance that you wish to purchase.
One of the most important things to remember when operating a hand mixer is to stay safe. Here are a few safety tips to remember when using your hand mixer.
- Never put the beaters in the mixer when it is turned to the ‘on’ setting. The same rule applies when inserting any special attachments to the mixer.
- Use care when operating your hand mixer. If you take care of your machine it will provide the long lifetime that you seek when you purchased the machine.
- Carefully watch you are placing the bowl on the counter. Ensure that you do not place it on the edge to prevent spills and major messes.
- Keep the mixer unplugged and safely stored until you are ready to use it. This will ensure the longevity of your machine.
- Keep the hand mixer away from water. Ensure that cords are not dangling in or near water at any time, particularly when the mixer is in use.
- Never emerge the mixer into water.
- When the machine is turned on, do not attempt to touch the blades of the machine.
- Discontinue use if you notice that the cord is damaged or frayed.
General Hand Mixer Tips
Here are a few general tips for using your hand mixer.
- Before you purchase a hand mixer, ensure that you compare several different models. Not all hand mixers are created the same, so they do not offer the same features and functions. You can find the right mixer in your budget when you take the time to compare. There are many reviews and other information sources available for you to do this on the web.
- Read the instruction manual that accompanies your hand mixer before using the machine. Although you might think that you know everything there is to know about using hand mixers, this is not the case since each offers its own usage information.
- Do not expect too much of your hand mixer. Even if you own a high-quality machine pushing it to the limits constantly is going to cause the eventual breakdown of the machine.
- If your hand mixer tears up, keep the beaters. Most of them will fit into your new one so you’ll have an extra set on hand.
- You will have much better results with your mixture if you add the dry ingredients first, using a slow speeding. Add the liquid or wet ingredients next, using the same slow speeding and increasing it gradually.
- Before turning the mixer on, ensure that the speed setting is turned to the off or ‘0’ position.
It is easy to spatter dough and batter all over the counters or the floor, but with these tips, you can keep a clean kitchen as you mix.
- Before turning your hand mixer on, use the beaters to stir mixtures gently together to prevent dust from creating a white powdery mess in your kitchen.
- Don’t forget to turn the mixer off before removing it from your batter!
- Remove the beaters (or other attachments that you’ve used) from the mixer and clean it before and after each use.
- Use a sponge or small towel to clean your mixer unit, removing any spots of food that may have spattered onto it.
- Remember to keep the cord clean as well.
- A towel can be placed over your bowl as you are mixing to further prevent spatter and messes from occurring.
We hope these hand mixer tips will help you benefit even more from this favorite kitchen appliance.