The Viking Professional 5-Quart Stand Mixer is an elegant workhorse boasting 800 watts of power and, unlike some modern competitors, a full metal gear transmission. Its planetary mixing action is powerful enough to knead through even the heaviest whole grain flours and yet still gentle enough to stir together delicate ingredients. You’ll be proud to have such a well-made and well-performing machine in your kitchen.
The Viking VSM500, the same as the Professional 5-Quart Stand Mixer of KitchenAid, offers several practical features. Its tilting headlocks the mixing arm into place and also locks it out of the way to allow for more access to the beautifully crafted stainless bowl. Three stainless-steel attachments of top-notch quality are included.
Viking’s “V Beater” attachment is designed for the majority of your mixing needs, while the whip quickly adds air to your mousses or egg whites. Even when dense whole grains are involved, the heavy-duty dough hook stretches and kneads doughs with ease. When you want to do more than just mix, a secondary power outlet can run proprietary attachments on either high or low speed.
In addition to being durable, the stainless-steel accessories, bowl and die-cast metal chassis make clean up surprisingly simple. When you’re finished cleaning the machine, built-in wheels on the base make it easy to roll the mixer out of the way.
Although the Viking Professional lacks some of the frills of its competitors, it’s a solidly built machine that consistently performs.
Viking VSM500 Professional 5-Quart Stand Mixer Features and Specification
- Exclusive design and tooling
- Powerful 800-watt motor
- Rugged all-metal gear transmission
- Viking kitchen mixers provide primary, low-speed, and high-speed settings
- 12 Speeds plus Stirring and Max
- Tilt-back head locks in up and down position
- Bushed stainless steel mixing bowl with handle
- Stainless-steel V beater, whip, dough hook attachments, and mixing bowl included
- Easy-Glide rear wheels for easy maneuverability around the countertop
- Planetary mixing action for thorough results
- Secondary power outlet for additional, proprietary attachments
- Exclusive large, easy to control power/speed selector knob
- Available in Stainless Gray, Bright Red, White, or Black
- Product Dimensions: 17 x 8.5 x 15 inches
- Shipping Weight: 9 pounds
- Warranty: 1-year warranty
According to several reviews, proud owners of the Viking VSM500 Professional are exceedingly happy with the quality and power of their mixer. Many owners reported that they can’t imagine buying any other brand, much less needing to thanks to the durability of this mixer.
Reviewers rave about the superior and sturdy craftsmanship of the Viking VSM500. Enough users were impressed with its performance to give it an average rating of 4.5 stars out of 5.
- Despite being slightly more expensive than comparable models, reviewers feel that the industrial quality of this mixer and its included attachments make the VSM500 an excellent value. Among the best-loved features of the mixer are the standard attachments and mixing bowl which are made of high-quality stainless steel and are as easy to attach as they are to clean.
- Reviewers were generally pleased with the range of 12 speeds, which include a gentle stir that prevents spills and clouds of flour. However, some reviewers were annoyed that the Viking sells their pouring splatter shield attachment separately, while other brands, like Cuisinart, offer these guards as a standard feature with some models.
- A few reviewers had also purchased and greatly enjoyed the proprietary slicer and pasta maker, which are sold separately and built to run on the secondary power outlet at either high or low speed.
- One of the rare contradictory complaints was due to the mixers weight, which actually helps the machine accomplish heavy-duty jobs without bouncing or getting bogged down. The machine is not as portable as some would like, but, thanks to the built in-wheels in the base, many reviewers found that the mixer easily rolls out of the way when not in use.
- Another example of reviewer contradictions involved the machine’s aesthetic. Some owners found that the VSM500 was rather utilitarian in its design while others appreciated its professional elegance. In keeping with simplicity, Viking offers this mixer in 4 colors: black, silver, bright red, and stainless gray.
Since most reviewers are thrilled with their Viking VSM500 Professional 5-quart mixer, we recommend it as an outstanding 5-quart mixer. It offers considerable power in a durable, well-constructed metal body. Everything about this machine, including the standard attachments, are built to last and out-perform. If you are willing to invest a bit more in a durable stand-mixer for everyday use, the Viking VSM500 will be the only one you will need for years to come.